Skip to main content

Weeping Beauty

As I write this, it feels like a lifetime ago I departed Valdez. Since, you will all be pleased to know that I have tackled many-a-hill and withstood cold, cold nights in my tent. As for the weather I could not have asked for sunnier skies during the day. It has been non-stop gorgeous all the way.

Where to begin, because really, this is the very first official post that follows my adventures a-la bicyclette. I was sad to see Valdez fade into the distance but so excited to finally take off and make the road my new home for a while. The first few days if you can imagine, were somewhat painful and exhausting but none the less fulfilling. I loved how I was greeted on my first day with a 10 mile climb at a 7% gradient through Thompson Pass. It was incredibly beautiful but definitely slow going. The upside to starting my journey off with that kind of BANG helped put all the other hills I encountered after that into perspective....mole hills....Ha, bring it on! From the moment I left Valdez I have had the opportunity to stay with a slew of amazing people along the way. All have greeted me with a kindness and generosity so touching I don't know how to thank them enough. I have felt truly loved and looked after by everyone I have met along the road. I feel so thrilled and in awe of being alive at this time and in this place.

It's funny how one can do something so repetitive yet, have it feel so different every day. There was one day in particular that I remember so clearly and it was just after having turned onto Tok junction, flying down this huge hill overlooking the Copper River on my right and I simply started weeping. Perhaps it was a combination of the cold, wind blowing in my face, and the beauty of the landscape but it actually brought tears to my eyes! I had never experienced anything that was so emotionally spontaneous as that. I had to pull over to the side of the road because the tears just kept flowing. I couldn't help but wonder why we as humans feel entitled, nay the need to control/tame such wild beauty without a second thought. It blows my mind.

The days have flown by. I have been averaging  50-60 miles/day (approx. 80-90km). The days are starting to mesh together. My bike is a machine and has treated me so well. As a result of spending hours on end with only my thoughts to entertain me, I have finally come up with a wonderful name for my bicycle....the one and only Sexy Sadie. I like how it rolls off the tongue so easily.

It is not very often that one has the opportunity to spend so much time alone. I used to think that I wanted to live in the middle of the wild in a little log cabin, off the grid and live off the land when the season permits. Enough time alone certainly made me rethink this little fantasy. I really love the idea of solitude and the quiet, yet loneliness is not something I thought would've affected me the way it has. Perhaps all I crave is a place quiet enough for me to hear my own thoughts and that is easy on the senses. I've realized that it is so challenging to connect with people on a genuine level when you are in the middle of a bustling, noisy and chaotic metropolis. If people are unable to connect with themselves how in the world do we expect the true essence of a person to connect with others?! It is almost impossible not to be affected by everything going on around you in a city. It is overwhelming to the senses. You have the media telling you what to think, how to feel, what to do, what you need, what will make you happy...It is insanity when you really think about. How the hell would they know me enough to know what would truly make me happy?! That is the beauty of the world we live in. We all want different things.

I guess this post is solid proof of what happens when you spend a lot of time in your own head. I've had a lot of time to contemplate a lot of things in the last few weeks.  It is all food for thought. Something I'm working on is being present in the moment. In other words, focusing on cycling, my breathing and the next section of road ahead of me. Training and focusing the mind has been far more challenging than anything I've had to physically endure thus far. As far as accomplishments and highlights go, I must say that crossing the border into the Yukon was exhilarating. For a while I thought I would never get there. One of the hardest decisions I've had to make on this trip, was just after I arrived in Beaver Creek. The nights have been getting increasingly colder which is no surprise for this time of year up here. I guess part of me was in denial, even though I knew that there was the possibility I wouldn't be able to handle the cooler weather with the limited gear I have with me. As such, I have made the decision to not cycle the next section (the Cassiar) and will be riding from Whitehorse to Skagway to catch the ferry to Prince Rupert where I will hop another ferry to Port Hardy, Vancouver Island. It was a very difficult decision to make and for a while I couldn't help but feel defeated and a little embarrassed by believing that I could beat the weather. In retrospect I can't help but laugh because there I was, in Beaver Creek seeking to manipulate the weather no less! Humbled by the experience, and sleeping in -15 I hitched a ride through Kluane and Destruction Bay and am now currently staying with a good friend in Whitehorse, Yukon, who I coincidentally ran into at a cafe downtown. Life works in mysterious ways and I'm loving every minute of it.

Today I started busking for my ticket for the ferry. It's amazing what can happen when you live your life out of a question. Today I hit a record for busking on the street, $152.00!!!! I'm only $50 short and that was only 4 hours. For now, I remain in Whitehorse until I reach my monetary goal. It also feels good to be around people again.

I've also attached a link that I think might interest you. I have a SPOT device and it is set up so you can view my tracks via a public shared page. Check it out! http://www.avantura.ca/tracking-share-spot.html

Comments

  1. Amazing! So glad to hear you busked for money so quickly, when i talked to you on Thursday you were a bit worried about it.. but on Friday - BAM! Insane how life works! I guess you're meant to get down South quite fast. Beautiful photos of the glaciers, SO stunning I can't even believe it :) Looking forward to talking to you again soon xoxo enjoy the big city ! Hugs from Ottawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you caught up with your friend in Whitehorse! I love it when that kind of thing happens! I know you had to make a tough decision, but don't worry, you still put plenty of miles on sexy sadie in the great white north and you have many more adventures ahead! Best wishes! Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a note from your Dodi Allan to say hi and how proud of you we all are! Go get 'em kiddo! You are in my daily prayers!

    Love,

    Dodi Allan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Class is in session...What?!

Tomorrow is officially the beginning of journey into the unknown. There are so many things invading my cranium at the moment, trying to focus on one thing seems like an impossible, onerous task. I have never attempted something so huge in my entire life. Pre-trip jitters are something I am slowly growing accustomed to, since they started a good three weeks ago. I suppose now would be a good time to describe exactly what I have set out to do for the next five months. All my life I've felt this drive to engage in things that shake the very core of my humanity, things that make me come alive and as such, I constantly seek ways in which I can move my body. What better avenue to explore these feelings than through ADVENTURE?! That is why I have chosen to do a cycling adventure starting from Anchorage, Alaska down to San Diego, California/Mexican border. This is quite the feat for me considering I have never done any cycle touring in my life, but I've decided this trip is not abo